As a pivotal part of the local community, our Executive Committee understands the importance of inspiring our staff to deliver outstanding service.
Daniel A. Hostettler
President & Group Managing Director
Daniel A. Hostettler was appointed as President and Managing Director during the resort’s development in 2009. A hospitality executive with 20 years of luxury hotel and restaurant industry experience, Hostettler has been instrumental in the development, growth and management of, as well as the service delivery within, Ocean House and its sister property, Weekapaug Inn. Hostettler’s responsibilities include overseeing day-to-day operations as well as the long-term strategic vision for the properties.
Hostettler’s distinguished career in international hospitality includes the development and management of hotels, restaurants, residential components and private clubs; including overseeing leading landmark hotel and resort properties across the United States and Europe.
• President and Managing Director of Lajitas – The Ultimate Hideout, an independently-owned, Mobil Four-Star, AAA Four Diamond, Leading Hotel of the World and Preferred Hotel of the World property in Lajitas, Texas. At Lajitas, he oversaw development and implementation of architecture, interior design, construction and branding of the property, including its championship golf course and country club, world-class spa, and residential community, as well as its equestrian, shooting and hunting facilities. During his tenure, Lajitas’ annual revenues and occupancy swelled by more than 20 percent annually.
• Managing Director at La Posada de Santa Fe Resort & Spa in Santa Fe, N.M., and the Summer Lodge Hotel and Spa in Dorset, England, luxury resorts and members of Preferred Hotels and Resorts and Relais &Chateaux.
• Previously, Hostettler held a variety of positions with Meadowood resort in Napa Valley, and was part of the opening team of The Peninsula, Beverly Hills a Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five Diamond Property.
• Successfully participated in the opening of five luxury properties.
Awards & Accolades
• Rhode Island Hotelier of the Year, 2011
• U.S. Hotelier of the Year, 2011
Community Involvement / Associations
• Member, Cornell Hotel Society
• Board Member, Rhode Island Hospitality Association
• Board Member, South County Tourism Bureau
• Fellow, Gerson Lehrman Group – Leisure & Lodging Council
• Member, Urban Land Institute
• Member, Resort Managers of America
• Member, American Hotel and Lodging Association
Publications/Teaching & Lecturing
• Strategic Positioning of a Luxury Hotel Product: Hotel Investments Issues and Perspective, Text, 5th Edition
• Case Study & Chapter: Managing Guest Services in Hospitality, Wiley 1st Edition
• Visiting Professor, Johnson & Wales University
• Visiting Lecturer, Boston University, School of Hotel & Restaurant Administration
Education & Training
• BSBA Hotel & Restaurant Management, University of Denver
• BSBA Finance, University of Denver
• GMP, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
• CDP, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
• Certified Hotel Administrator, American Hotel & Motel Association
• Grew up and was educated in Europe and as a result is fluent in Swiss-German, and conversational in French and Spanish, in addition to English
• Lives with his wife and two young children in Westerly, Rhode Island
Growing up in Madison, Connecticut, John Kolesar was always hanging around the kitchen. With his grandparents always creating something special for the family to enjoy, he knew at a young age that the culinary field would be his calling.
While attending Johnson & Wales in both Miami and Providence, Chef John was able to refine his culinary skills while developing a love for the business of running a kitchen: designing menus, creating unique bistro-inspired dishes, costing out recipes and managing a team of professionals.
Appointed Executive Chef of Ocean House in December 2011, after serving as Executive Sous Chef since the summer of 2010, Chef John brings more than 10 years experience at world-class restaurants and catering companies. Prior to joining the Ocean House team, he worked as executive chef for the Rhode Island Center for Performing Arts where he was accountable for food preparation and daily operations for a 1,200-seat theater and 300-seat nightclub. He also worked as the Executive Chef at Chester House Catering and Amalfi Restaurant & Catering.
At Ocean House, Chef John is responsible for overseeing all culinary operations, including its five fine and casual dining restaurants. Managing a kitchen of more than 40 workers, he finds being the Executive Chef both challenging and rewarding.
“At the end of the night, when the ovens and gas are turned off and I’m doing my order, I look back on the day,” he says. “All I can do is smile and be thankful – thankful for having the opportunity to lead an extraordinary group of young Chefs that wow hundreds of people each day.”
Awards and Accolades
Voted Caterer of the Year in 2006 by
Rhode Island Hospitality and Tourism.
Originally from Madison, CT
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Resort Manager & Group Director of Operations
Antonia Korosec brings more than 10 years of international experience in the luxury hotel and private club industry. Before returning to Ocean House as Resort Manager, Ms. Korosec was the Innkeeper at Weekapaug Inn. Previously, she worked as Assistant Managing Director and Director of Rooms at Ocean House.
• Assistant Managing Director at Hotel Le Grand Paradis, an upscale ski resort in Val d’Isere, France
• Executive Assistant to the President and Assistant Hotel Director (Rooms Division) at Lajitas — The Ultimate Hideout, an independently owned Forbes Four-Star, AAA Four Diamond, Leading Hotel of the World and Preferred Hotel of the World in Lajitas, Texas
• Food and Beverage and Club House Manager at the Yacht Club de Monaco in Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Education & Training
• Bachelor of Science in International Hospitality Management from Ecole Hotelier de Lausanne in Switzerland.
• Born in Monte Carlo, Monaco
• Fluent in French, English, German and Spanish.
Group Director of Leisure Sales & Strategic Partnerships
Before even graduating from high school, Christine Smith made her entrance into the world of hospitality. In May 2012, she joined the Ocean House team as Guest Relations Manager, rising quickly through the ranks to the position of Director of Rooms in October of 2013 and then Group Director of Leisure Sales & Strategic Partnerships in 2015. As Group Director Ms. Smith loves to share her expertise and enthusiasm for adventure and travel.
• Worked as Front Desk Supervisor at The Grand Del Mar for more than two years. In August 2010, promoted to Night Manager.
• Night Manager at Robins Nest & Catering in New Jersey.
Education & Training
• Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management (HRIM) Degree from Mercyhurst College in Pennsylvania
• Raised in a family of five girls in New Jersey
• Played field hockey in college
DIRECTOR OF GROUP SALES
Alex Stamm has more than 10 years experience in hospitality, specializing in sales, marketing and public relations. Before joining Ocean House Management, she previously worked at The Surrey in New York City and Pacific Hospitality Group in California, representing their Meritage Collection.
• Associate Director of Sales at Denihan Hospitality Group
• Senior Regional Sales Manager at Pacific Hospitality Group
• Sales Manager at Evans Hotels
Education & Training
• Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel Business Management from University of Nevada at Las Vegas
• Master’s Degree in Business from San Diego State University
• Alex is from San Diego, CA, but was raised in Saudi Arabia. Her love affair with travel and adventure is what got her into the hotel industry.
Group Director of Human Resources
Alice Brennan brings more than 20 years of human resources experience in the hotel and private club industry. As a part of the Ocean House opening team, Ms. Brennan has been instrumental in setting the level of excellence for employees and the company’s stalwart for achieving the Forbes Five Star designation. She has since helped open Weekapaug Inn and Watch Hill Inn.
• Director of Human Resources at Cheeca Lodge and Hawks Cay Resorts in the Florida Keys
• Started her career in human resources with Cunard Line, one of the world’s premier ocean liner companies
• Opened one luxury private liner, The World, two hotels and was instrumental in the reorganization of two luxury properties.
• Point person for Cunard Line’s home office move from New York to Miami
Education & Training
• Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) Certification, the senior-most certification for those demonstrating a strategic mastery of human resources
• Born in Roselle, New Jersey
• One of nine children
Innkeeper, Weekapaug Inn
With training in fine cuisine, business and hospitality management, and many applicable skills gleaned from a career in the British Army, Simon is prepared to exceed all expectations in his new post as Innkeeper at Weekapaug Inn.
Having lived and worked in England, Germany, Belize, Brunei, Hong Kong, Bosnia, Ireland, Cyprus, Hungary, The Falkland Islands, Canada, South Africa and The United States, Simon Piers Dewar comes to the shores of Quonochontaug Pond with well-honed hospitality skills and world traveler’s wisdom, to ensure the continued top-tier level of hospitality that our guests have come to expect and enjoy.
During his time in the Army, traveling around the globe, Simon developed a profound love of wine and food. He received proper culinary training in the UK and in the US as a commis chef at a five-star Relais & Chateaux property in the Berkshires, head chef at a country club and sous chef at an acclaimed restaurant in Harrogate, Yorkshire UK.
Most recently Simon served as General Manager of Blantyre, a perfectly restored, late 19th century estate in the Berkshires that is, like the Inn, a member of the distinguished Relais & Châteaux group. In 2013, Blantyre was again awarded Five Stars by Forbes, as well as the Wine Spectator Grand Award.
Simon is married to his American born wife, Aimee, and they have two children and an energetic Jack Russell; all look forward to life on the beautiful Rhode Island coast.
“There is something quintessentially American about the Weekapaug Inn. It is elegant, relaxed and serene. From the moment I drove up I could sense the history of place associated with the inn and immediately felt drawn to its location. One can imagine the people that came before us, summering here and making the Inn part of their family histories. I look forward to the opportunity to serve as innkeeper so that I can share my enthusiasm for the property with our guests.”
DIRECTOR OF FOOD & BEVERAGE