Cooking and Wine Classes
Cooking and Wine Classes
Hone your cooking skills in the Gaggenau Demonstration Kitchen, featuring top-of-the-line appliances that will light your culinary fire. Our cooking and wine classes revolve around the exploration of Rhode Island’s agricultural bounty; seasonal produce, seafood, local meats and cheeses. Join the Food Forager in an interactive learning environment to master classic culinary techniques that can be easily replicated at home.
Explore the world of wine with Rhode Island wine tasting that samples our 8,000-bottle Wine Spectator award-winning collection, showcased in two spectacular library cellars. Selecting wines from the most important growing regions and hidden gems from around the world, the Wine Education Program offers a comprehensive hands-on experience that is both approachable and unpretentious for the casual wine drinker and the connoisseur alike.
Please click on the button below to book a class.Book a Class
Family Cooking: 60-minute classes; $35 per person
Just Perfect: How to Bake an Apple Pie
- This class covers how to make dough from scratch, how to choose which apples to use, and how to make the perfect pie, every time.
Brownies from Scratch
- Betty who? Elevate your family bake night by learning how easy it is to make gooey, chocolately brownies at home from scratch.
Rock-Salt Ice Cream at Home
- Use this neat science trick to make your very own ice cream at home without any special equipment. Your family will love choosing your own flavors and watching the ice cream appear before their very eyes!
Introduction to Knife Skills and Maintenance
- Safety first! Get in the kitchen with an experienced professional who will help you through how to hold a knife, how to perfect some classic cutting techniques, and how to keep your cutlery razor sharp.
Preservation Station: Pickles, Jams, and Jellies
- Learn how to extend the season and save the fresh produce you love with this class that covers all different ways to preserve the harvest. We’ll discuss pickles, jams, olive oil preserves, lacto-fermentation, vinegar making, and dehydration.
Focaccia ‘Bout It
- This delicious Italian flatbread will be a staple of your dinner table after you learn how simple it is to do well! This bread begs for toppings-so learn the basics and then get creative!
Parisian Confections: Cream Puffs, Eclairs, and Profiteroles
- Indulge your inner patissier and learn how to make all three of these classics-using one simple recipe!
Hearty French Onion Soup
- Using a great stock, simple caramelization, and so much CHEESE-the French developed one of the world’s most beloved soups. This class covers all the steps you need to put together this heartwarming soup in under an hour.
Make Your Own Birthday Cake
- Host part of your birthday party with us and build your own birthday cake under the expert guidance of our Director of Culinary Education. Take it home or eat it here!
Hobby Cooking: 90-minute classes; $35/person
More is More: Large Format Cooking for Families
- This class focuses on cooking large roasts and whole fish in a variety of ways. You’ll learn great techniques for feeding a large group, what to do with leftovers, and how to develop deep flavors through time-tested techniques that will help you master your oven.
The Ins and Outs: Fresh Filled Pasta
- Participants gain the opportunity to create a fresh dough specifically for making ravioli, agnolotti, or tortellini. We will make a seasonal filling and coach you through how to combine the filling with the pasta to make a masterpiece. We will prepare your pasta with an appropriate sauce, and discuss variations on the recipes we used that you can use at home.
- This class gives you the chance to stretch out your own pizza dough, add seasonally appropriate toppings, and bake your pizza to leopard-crusted perfection. You will learn the basics of sourdough and how to cultivate a starter as well as the essential techniques of some of the best pizza in the world.
Date Night Crash Course: Seasonal Risotto
- Impress your significant other by learning how to artfully prepare an intimate date-night dinner at home by learning the magic of risotto. We will cover perfect technique and variations on flavor based on local ingredients that are guaranteed to entitle you to some serious brownie points.
American Riviera: Modern Crudo
- This class explores local seafood and how to create a raw appetizer dish that highlights hyper-seasonal ingredients and innovative plating design. You will learn how to choose the freshest seafood and how to prepare it to be served raw along with gaining insight into how to choose complementary garnish that adds great flavor without overpowering the seafood.
Farm to Table 101
- Join our Food Forager as he teaches the basics of sourcing food locally and seasonally. You will be given a market basket of the freshest local produce available and will create a simple, vegetable-forward, two-course meal that will have you aching to go to the Farmer’s Market as soon as you leave our demo kitchen.
Geography and Geometry: Dry Pasta and Its Sauce
- This class focuses on properly pairing your pasta sauce with its best possible pasta shape. We will explore different shapes of dry pasta, where it traditionally comes from, what sauce goes best with it, and how to properly cook it. Using seasonal produce we will choose a sauce to prepare and pick an appropriate shape of pasta to eat it with!
Art of the Party: Hors d’Oeuvres for all Occasions
- Learn how to prepare an easy yet beautifully presented canapé spread using a variety of culinary techniques.
Hearty Handmade Pasta
- Dream of rolling your own pasta at home? Pair of up with our culinary experts to learn how to make fresh pasta dough, how to roll, and how to make a number of different shapes and styles. Consider this your first step to becoming an Italian Nonna!
Gnocchi at Home
- A labor of love doesn’t need to be laborious. These classic Italian dumplings can be made and enjoyed by all whether you’re using a classic potato recipe or a more nuanced ricotta-based recipe. Learn both in our gnocchi class and take your homemade pasta game to the next level.
- Fishing is in Rhode Island is a $100,000,000 industry-one of the backbones of Rhode Island’s economy and our daily life. Discover what we pull from these waters, how we do it sustainably, and some favorite ways to prepare it
Professional Development: Intensive classes ranging from half days to weekend long; prices vary
- Two-Day Boot Camp focusing on the Classic Garde Manger. We’ll talk about seasonality, principles for safe protein preservation, and produce sausages and terrines. $300 per person
Molecular Gastronomy Workshop
- Need a little pep in your culinary step? This is the perfect all-day workshop to focus on learning about the basic compounds we use in modern cuisine and how to effectively incorporate them into your repertoire with class and creativity. $250 per person
- Spend a day with us and get an extensive lesson in all types of pasta (fresh, filled, and dry) and how to use them on your menu with appropriate sauces, regional specialties, and more tricks that will set your pasta offerings apart. $300 per person
Tastings: 60-minute topical overviews with our Director of Culinary Education; $65/person
Olive Oil Tasting
- This class presents a line-up of some world-class Extra Virgin Olive Oils. We will taste and evaluate while learning what it takes to produce good olive oil and how different growing climates affect different varieties of olive.
- All the over New England farmers are cultivating the same species of oyster, but its flavor and delicate qualities are completely determined by the environment in which it grows as determined by weather and farming practices. Taste through the differences in ‘merroir’ and try to modern takes on mignonette.
New England Cheeses
- Taste local cheeses from all over New England and discover how they are made, where they come from, and the importance and history of local dairy culture.
Spirits and Cocktail Classes
30 Minute Wines
- Got some time to kill? Why not enjoy a 30 minute wine tasting of on the day’s particular topic with our Sommelier? This brief wine seminar will cover two wines and cover the region where with wines are from, the history and dynamic of the winery, how the particular wine is made and a description of the wine itself. This class does not include a cheese plate. $60/person
- This one hour seminar is for the blossoming wine enthusiast, this class will discuss the basics of wine; topic of discussion will include how wine is made, noble grape varietals, how to taste wine and how to order in a restaurant setting. You’ll leave with feeling confident and able to impress your friends! This class does not include a cheese plate. $80/person
Off the Beaten Track Red & White Wines of the World
- For those tired of the same old same old, this seminar explores wines that are hidden gems on the Ocean House wine list. We will taste through these undiscovered wines and discuss their geography, history, grape varieties and regions. $95/person
- Experience the most enjoyed and breakthrough style of wine of our time. Learn about how Rosé is made and taste style from around the world; ranging from sparkling, dry and sweet styles. $80/person
Food & Wine Pairing Like a Pro
- Are you unsure how to order the right wine to complement your meal? Learn to pair food and wine as we discuss how certain foods and wines interact with each other. Taste through a selection of pairings with our Sommelier to determine the key factors and techniques for creating a match, the flavor and textural elements to pay attention to and the “rules of thumb” that apply to modern cuisine. $150/person
- Whether you’re celebrating a momentous occasion or just another day in the life, a bit of bubbly is sure to make it special! In this seminar, explore the intriguing world of sparkling wines. We will discuss grape varieties, production methods and history and taste a variety of sparkling wines from around the world. $150/person
Old World Vs. New World
- Taste through classic examples of grape varieties from the world. Learn how they compare and contrast because of their unique Terroirs and production styles. $95/person
- Learn about the unique growing region of New England. Taste how international and local grape varietals express themselves in the cool climate and rich soils of the region. $85/person
Simply the Best
- Taste through the best that the Ocean House Wine Cellar has to offer! The Ocean House Sommelier will choose a selection of the house’s top wines from the most renowned wineries and wine regions in the world. Experience why these wines are sought after and how they compare with each other. Starting at $500/person
Evaluating Wine, Blind Tasting
- No blindfolds are required for this blind tasting! Train your palate by matching specific flavors often found in wines with the wines themselves. Learn precise flavor profiles associated with classic varietals and how to critically evaluate wines the way professionals do. Our Sommelier will guide you through on how to analyze visual, flavor and structural elements to assess the quality and typicity of each wine like a pro! $200/person
A Study of Champagne, Tête de Cuvees:
- In this class we will review the history of Champagne and how it is made, gain a more in-depth knowledge of each region within Champagne and taste five of the best champagne, Tête de Cuvees available. Examples of wines available are Louis Roederer, ”Cristal”, Veuve Clicquot, “La Grande Dame”, Moet and Chandon, “Dom Perignon”, Armand de Brignac, “Ace of Spades”, Bollinger “La Grande Anne” and the like. Wines based on availability. $300/per person, minimum of 4 guests
Burgundy-Grand Cru Tasting:
- In this class we will review the uniqueness of Burgundies Grand Cru Vineyards. We will taste the very best that Burgundy has to offer. Learn what makes these Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines iconic and revered. Wines based on availability, starts at $350/per person
Spirits and Cocktail Seminars
Single Malt Scotch:
- In this class we will discuss the differences in production, flavor characteristics and history of a variety of the best single malt scotches from the Ocean House’s selection. $100/person
- In this class we will discuss the differences in production, flavor characteristics and history of a variety of the spirits from around the world from the Ocean House’s selection. The class also includes a demonstration on how to make one of the Ocean House Signature Seasonal Cocktails. $95/person
Cocktail or Sangria Competition:
- Have you ever wanted to learn how to make the perfect cocktail or Sangria, then challenge your friends, family or Colleagues in who can make it better? In this two-hour class you will learn how to make cocktails or Sangria like the pros, how to set up a home bar and challenge others to create the best concoction. Our bar and Sommelier team will judge your drinks and rate them on best flavor balance, most aesthetic and best name! The winner will receive bragging rights for the rest of time! $150/person Minimum 4 guests
Cigar and Whiskey Seminar:
- In this class we will discuss the many distinct parts of the cigar, find tips on lighting and cutting, proper cigar storage techniques and discuss the world’s top growing regions. These lessons are the perfect introduction to cigar smoking for beginners – and a nice refresher for aficionados. In addition, we will taste and discuss five Whiskeys from around the world. $150/per person, 1 Week Lead Time for class
AVAILABILITY & PRICING
January through March classes are offered:
- Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday at 12:30 and 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
April through December classes are offered at 12:30 and 5:30 p.m. seven days a week.
Cooking classes and wine classes range from 1 hour to 90 minutes. Cooking classes range between $35 to $95 per person; wine classes range from $60 to $500 per person (plus tax and gratuity).
Food Forager classes include a Center For Wine & Culinary Arts thank you gift. All wine tastings include a local cheese plate. Wines are selected by Sommelier by availability. Wine classes can accommodate a minimum of 4 to a maximum of 8 guests. Classes for 1 to 3 people may be arranged—please inquire directly with Wine Director.