Art Adventures & Experiences
Art is a pivotal part of the Ocean House experience. Museum-worthy exhibits, an art exploration for kids, lecture series, seasonal events and more together create a cohesive curated portfolio. Our robust art programming has been enjoyed by countless guests and community members throughout the years. We invite you to join in.
Education & Events
Art Curator Tours: Private tours of the collection and seasonal gallery shows are available and led by Jeanne Potter, Resident Curator & Director of Art Education. Tours must be arranged in advance.
- Private tours of the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, CT (the birthplace of American Impressionism) can be arranged with Jeanne Potter. Our Mercedes-Benz vehicles can provide transportation and the fee will be $125/hour for a minimum of three hours
- For children: Self-guided “Mortimer Mouse Scavenger Hunt;” children receive a special “prize” for completing the hunt and finding all items
Up Close & Personal: How Artists Make Art: A complimentary event for hotel guests and surrounding community featuring award-winning artists, museum directors and other prominent leaders in the arts who will share their work in lectures, demonstrations and insightful presentations.
Private Art Watercolor Lessons: Taught by OH Art Curator and Master Watercolorist Jeanne Potter. Available one-on-one or small groups for a three-hour session. All art materials are provided; no art experience required. $300/person plus tax & gratuity (must be arranged in advance).
Cork & Canvas Events: Special event for groups in collaboration with the OH Sommelier where guests are provided with small canvases, brushes and paints to create art while sampling local wine & cheeses.
Galleries & Collections
Galleries: Seasonal exhibitions in lobby, Members Club Room and the Bistro. The hotel hosts exhibitions of paintings for sale by leading contemporary artists from major galleries in the region, including the Lily Pad Gallery, the Maritime Gallery at Mystic Seaport, and the J. Russell Jinishian collection of marine art. Paintings in the gallery shows are available for purchase. Please check with reception for pricing and more information.
Permanent Collection: Art enthusiasts and amateurs alike will be captivated by almost 250 works from the 19th century through the 1990’s adorning the walls. Originals include the French artist SEM, also known as George Goursat (1863-1934), who, in the years before World War I, created caricatures satirizing the beau monde of French high society at the beach resorts, racetracks and grand hotels of Deauville, Monte Carlo, and Paris. Among other masterworks on view are pieces by renowned artist Ludwig Bemelmans, including his series Goodbye to the Ritz, which commemorated the closing of the Ritz Carlton Hotel, murals from his La Colombe restaurant in Paris, and original illustrations from Bemelmans’ famous Madeleine children’s book series.
- Josephine Maynard, The Story of Susan
- Ludwig Bemelmans, Goodbye to the Ritz series, Madeleine series, La Columbe murals
- Oscar Fabres, Café Society
- Adolf Dehn, for Vanity Fair
- Self portraits of well-known artists and writers collected by Burt Britton in the Club Room
- Society Ladies (original 19th century watercolors depicting fashion of the time)
- Jessie Gillespie, Art of the Elegant Silhouette
- George Goursat (SEM), a series of caricatures satirizing the beau monde
- James Montgomery Flagg, famous poster and magazine illustrator
- Garrett Price, original New Yorker covers
- Konstantin Rudakov and the nightlife in St. Petersburg
- Lanazin French portraits from 1883 featuring artists, writers and statesmen of the period
- Howard Chandler Christy
- John Rea Neill
- William Wallace Denslow
- George Edwards
- China Trade Fish Series
ARTISTS AT OCEAN HOUSE
Weekend Artists at Ocean House Summer Series: Award-winning artists from participating galleries who display their art at Ocean House in seasonal shows are invited to paint on the OH grounds during the summer weekends to share their art with guests. Featuring complimentary wines and cheeses from the Ocean House, artists will discuss how they create their work and display paintings/works for sale at the reception. Past artists have included Harley Bartlett, Neil Hughes, and Susan Stephenson.
Artist in Residence at the Cottage: The Artist in Residence program is a unique experience for Ocean House guests to meet with nationally-recognized artists and artisans to see how they create their work, and to experience hands-on art instruction to be inspired to create their own works of art. Programs will also include special lectures, workshops and gallery hours at the Cottage.ART EDUCATION EVENTS
About Jeanne Potter, Resident Curator and Director of Art Education
Jeanne Potter joined the Ocean House team in January 2016 as Resident Curator and Director of Art Education. She has an extensive background in fine art gallery management, exhibitions, installation, and art sales. Prior to Ocean House, she was the Director of the Maritime Gallery at Mystic Seaport for ten years. A lifelong artist and master watercolorist, she holds BFA and MFA degrees from Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts, was a faculty member at the Corcoran College of Art and Design in Washington, DC, and currently teaches watercolor at the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, CT.